Welcome to my blog!

For some time I’ve been aware that being able to share wealth creation breakthroughs and issues really helps encourage students! It helps you feel part of a very special community (which you are!) – a community that isn’t much evident in the outside world. The M for Mindset in TEM$ is the most important aspect of wealth creation, so keep yours positive, motivated, learning, and talking! Post your blog today!

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

FIREWALKING – YOU MUST BE CRAZY! By Mel Marx

It was a Saturday like any other, except we were booked on one of Hannes Dreyer’s workshops. We knew that today we would be stretched but what we did not know was how much.

During the day we found out that the workshop would be followed by a ‘firewalk’. I instantly thought ‘you must be joking’, there is no way that I will willingly be walking over coals. I consoled myself with the knowledge that it would be my choice and that there would be no coercion. But I was intrigued and everyone was saying just keep an open mind. So to prove how open my mind was my partner and I joined the lecture and took part in the ‘arrow breaking exercise’. On arrival at the fire my mind was still made up, no way was I going to do that! But Tanya and Hannes encouraged us to join in and celebrate with the other people who were courageously taking on the coals. I thought those people are so brave I must support and celebrate with them and so we did.

As we were clapping and enjoying other people’s victory something started happening to me. I started thinking is it possible? It seems like it as others are doing it. If I were to do it I would have a great victory over fear. Hannes was adamant, “If you are fearful, don’t walk”. Then my partner turned around to me and said, I am going to walk. I did not even have a chance to answer and before I knew it she had done it. Well, I thought this is simply another goal to be achieved. As I stood in front of those coals, I had a moment where focus was stronger than fear and my desire to do something extraordinary became so strong that I simply did it.

Once I had, I thought I am not sure that this was real, so I had better do it again in case. So we did.

This was something that I had to do for myself and nobody else. Since that walk I feel as if I have woken from a long sleep. I see things so much clearer. In particular I see so many possibilities for us to achieve our dreams.

Thank you Tanya and Hannes for the encouragement and creating an environment safe enough for us to break though our self imposed barriers

No comments: